Race, Equity, & Inclusion Working Group
Established in 2020, the Race, Equity, and Inclusion Working Group will examine SACOG programs and projects, and historical and current planning practices and/or programs through a racial equity lens.
Activities of the working group may include, but are not limited to, discussion, identification, and advancement of the following:
• Support and drive the implementation of the Race, Equity, and Inclusion framework developed in 2020.
• Receiving and processing information on the role government played in segregating communities, suppressing home-ownership, and wealth accumulation through land use and transportation planning, policies, and programs.
• Building race, equity, and inclusion into SACOG’s strategic goals, policies, projects and programs, focusing on changes that have the promise to improve conditions and prevent harm to BIPOC.
• Exploring existing data to better understand and make recommendations to reduce racial disparities in economic and social outcomes, access to opportunities, mobility, and transportation, and to create a baseline of indicators to monitor racial equity outcomes.
• Developing approaches to raise or attract state investment and/or funding programs focused on increasing investment without displacement in BIPOC communities and/or low-income communities.
- Welcome & Intros
- Brown Act Review
- Where We’ve Been
- Why We are Here, Where We Going, What Success Looks Like
- Meeting Adjourn
Building on the momentum of the working groups’ launch in 2020, the SACOG board has appointed members of the public to participate in the Race, Equity, & Inclusion (REI) Working Group.
The public members come from organizations serving the region and/or state and bring expertise and experience in moving organizations to advance racial equity in their programs and policies.
In June 2020, then Board Chair Lucas Frerichs and Vice-Chair Ricky Samayoa announced the creation of a working group on race, equity, and inclusion. The work in 2020 was a starting point grounded in issue exploration and direction setting.
The primary outcomes in 2020 were a third-party equity audit by the McKensie Mack Group and the development of a Framework for Advancing Racial Equity.
STATEMENT FROM SACOG BOARD CHAIR AND VICE-CHAIR
FORMATION OF BOARD WORKING GROUP ON RACE, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
At our board meeting on June 18, we called for the formation of a SACOG board working group on race, equity and inclusion.