Mode Shift Call for Applications
November 30, 2022 - Extended Application Due Date
SACOG’s Mode Shift program will invest in, test, and expand new and existing programs that reduce car trips, provide new mobility solutions, and make options like biking, walking, taking transit, and sharing rides the easy choice for all types of trips. In addition, the program seeks to further racial equity through projects and programs that directly reach and engage low-income, disabled, and/or communities of color to address their community’s transportation needs.
The Mode Shift program will award grants for small non‐infrastructure programs, events, quick‐build projects, tactical urbanism, or projects to reduce single occupancy vehicle trips and miles by encouraging biking, walking, riding transit, carpooling, vanpooling, and teleworking as options for reducing car trips.
What you need to apply
- Mode Shift Program Guidelines (download here: Mode Shift Program Guidelines (updated link))
- Mode Shift Grant Application (Applications
collected via SurveyMonkey)
- A word version of the application is provided for drafting the application responses before you submit via Survey Monkey. (Application Tool - Mode Shift Application Text)
- Project sponsors are encouraged to look through the SurveyMonkey application before submitting their application.
- Mode Shift Application Attachment Templates (Dropbox folder)
- Mode Shift Application Checklist (download here (updated link))
Applicant Tools and Information (new)
Guidance for identifying performance measures
Frequently Asked Questions (11-8-22)
Applications are due by Wednesday, November 30, 2022, at 4:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST).
Who is eligible to apply?
Applicants must be located in El Dorado, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, Yolo, and Yuba counties. Eligible applicants include:
- Local governments and special districts
- Nonprofit organizations (e.g. Transportation Management Organizations, community‐based organizations, business improvement districts, main street associations, neighborhood associations, chambers of commerce, etc.)
- Community colleges, colleges, and universities
- K‐12 public education institutions
Changes from past funding programs
The Mode Shift program combines prior transportation demand management grant programs into a single program that can fund transportation demand innovations, more traditional transportation demand management projects, and microprojects for demand management.
Applications will be submitted via SurveyMonkey; application forms (e.g. Scope of Work templates) will be uploaded with the application.
Procurement-related forms are required with application submittal. SACOG is requiring these forms upfront to comply with federal funding requirements. Please let us know if you need additional help with these forms.
Project Sponsor Support
SACOG staff have reserved a series of four office hour sessions to provide technical assistance to grant applicants. Staff can answer questions and walk through application sections such as performance measurements and project eligibility.
Sign up and drop into any of the following office hour sessions through Zoom:
- October 18 at 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. | Register here (link)
- October 18 at 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. | Register here (link)
- October 21 at 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. | Register here (link)
- October 24 at 10:00 a.m. – Noon | Register here (link)
If you need to meet with SACOG staff outside of these times, please contact us to set up a time.