SACOG Race, Equity, and Inclusion Working Group Charge
The Race, Equity, and Inclusion (REI) Working Group shall follow the guidelines of an ad hoc committee of the SACOG Board of Directors. The working group shall discuss and oversee implementation of SACOG’s Racial Equity Action Plan (REAP) and, based on review of implementation activities, make recommendations to the SACOG Board of Directors. The REI Working Group will notify the SACOG Board of suggestions for changes to the REAP that increase its effectiveness and impact. Foundational to this working group will be building proficiency in knowledge of, and strategic actions through policy and programming, to both fix historical inequities and prevent further marginalization of Black, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Hispanic/Latino, and other communities of color as well as low-income, rural, urban and other underrepresented communities throughout the Sacramento Region.
Activities of the working group are focused on observing, engaging in, reviewing, discussing, and making recommendations on, the implementation of SACOG’s adopted Racial Equity Action Plan, the goals of which include:
- Operations Goal 1: Establish an inclusive workplace where all current and future employees feel they belong.
- Operations Goal 2: Identify, attract, invest in, and retain a workforce that reflects the diversity of the Sacramento region by providing equitable access to opportunities.
- Operations Goal 3: Reduce barriers to SACOG procurement and contracting process to create more opportunity for Black, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Hispanic/Latino, and communities of color, along with low-income rural, urban, and other underrepresented communities.
- Programs Goal 1: Increase engagement with community representatives of Black, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Hispanic/Latino, and communities of color, along with low-income rural, urban, and other underrepresented communities to help shape SACOG’s projects and programs.
- Programs Goal 2: Increase funding for programs and projects that prioritize REI and/or specifically engage underrepresented and underserved communities in the SACOG region.
- Programs Goal 3: SACOG supports and learns from member and local partner agencies incorporating racial equity best practices into their planning work.
- Board Practices Goal 1: The SACOG board deepens its understanding of how race/ethnicity, income, and geography (rural/urban) affects the social outcomes of communities throughout the Sacramento region.
- Board Practices Goal 2: The SACOG board includes racial equity impacts in its triple bottom line decisions.
- Board Practices Goal 3: The Board maintains consistent engagement with racial equity action plan implementation process.
The working group shall include SACOG board members, community members, local government and other public agency staff. The chair or chair-elect of the SACOG Board of Directors shall appoint the members of the Race, Equity, and Inclusion Working Group. Total membership shall not exceed 25 people. Members must be current SACOG board members, Sacramento region community members, or staff from SACOG member and partner governments. The chair will have the discretion for the exact composition.
The community members shall include representatives from some or all of the following categories:
- Racial Equity and Justice
- Affordable Housing
- Equitable Transportation Planning and Investment
- Investment without Displacement
- Community Development
- Education (PK-12, Community College, College/University)
- Public Health
- Air Quality
- Race and Intersectionality
- Economic Mobility
- Adaption and Resiliency
The government members shall include representatives from some or all of the following categories:
- City and county governments
- Transit agencies
- Special districts (e.g., air districts, school districts, utility districts, disaster preparedness/response)
- Tribal governments
Term of Working Group Membership
All members shall serve for the term of February 2023 through December 2024.
The current chair of the SACOG Board of Directors shall designate one or more of the committee members to serve as chair and as vice chair.