How to Get Involved
SACOG held eight public workshops in October, 2015: three in Sacramento County and one in each in El Dorado, Placer, Sutter, Yolo and Yuba counties. The workshops included information on the MTS/SCS requirements that SACOG must meet, and sought input from local residents on the results of those requirements.
Specifically, residents were asked to provide input that informed a draft framework that the SACOG Board of Directors adopted to create a draft MTP/SCS. The draft framework is based on data, analysis, scientific public polling, stakeholder input and public workshop input. The draft framework went to and was approved by the SACOG Board of Directors in December.
The draft MTP/SCS and required draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR) was released September 17, 2015 with a public comment period of 60 days. From September through December, SACOG held four public hearings to gather comments on the draft MTP/SCS and draft EIR. After the public comment period, staff reviewed and addressed comments made about the draft MTP/SCS and draft EIR and prepared the final draft documents. The SACOG Board of Directors reviewed public comments and recommendations on the final draft documents and adopted the MTP/SCS and certified the EIR on February 18, 2016.
Together, we considered transportation and land use choices and how the decisions made will shape our future. Throughout this process, we asked questions such as:
- What types of housing do we need next to what types of employment?
- Where does transit serve the greatest ridership demands, covering the highest amount of operating costs?
- Where do road projects improve safety, reduce congestion, and support economic growth of our region’s businesses?
- How do we balance housing, jobs, and other land uses in a way that gives people more transportation options and reduces auto dependence?
- Where are the most important places to build sidewalks and bicycle lanes and create complete streets, in order to improve safety for children and adults traveling to school, work, and other destinations?